Friday, July 13, 2012

Deceivers


I will not allow deceivers to serve in my house, and liars will not stay in my presence. My daily task will be to ferret out the wicked and free the city of the Lord from their grip. Psalm 101: 7-8 NLT

These to verses beg the question: how?

The psalmist is repeating the same idea in the first verse as deceivers and liars mean the same as do the words house and presence. The question about how to recognize deception and keep those liars out still goes unanswered.

And if the daily job is to get rid of the wicked in the entire city, it sounds like too big a task for one person! Will they be walking softly and carrying a big stick or what? Is this the psalmist police speaking?

The whole psalm, especially these last two verses, sound more like a pledge one makes to God. Perhaps you would not consider it a promise or even a vow but an attempt to tell God how you will live right in God's eyes on a daily basis. Perhaps these words of promise are not to be taken cut and dried literally but more figuratively. These are words that show the person is trying to be the best person God calls them to be. Therefore no deceivers will be hanging around them and whenever it is possible, the psalmist will rid God's city of evil: beginning with himself.

God, help me to rid of the evil in my own heart and the deceiving I have in my own mind. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Copyright 2012 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment