Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Authority of the Lord

Though hostile nations surrounded me, I destroyed them all with the authority of the Lord. Yes, they surrounded and attacked me, but I destroyed them all with the authority of the Lord. They swarmed around me like bees; they blazed against me like a crackling fire. But I destroyed them all with the authority of the Lord. Psalm 118: 10-12 NLT

What is this "authority of the Lord" that the psalmist refers to?

Permission to destroy?

License to kill?

Power from above?

When I think of having authority, I think of being given knowledge as well as some kind of commissioning to act on behalf of someone else. So, perhaps the psalmist destroyed his enemies but he didn't do it on his own. God gave him the knowledge and commissioned him to do so. In other words, the psalmist was not on his own.

How many times do we take the authority to do things on our own when we really shouldn't? And how many times has God given us the authority but we only see our own power and abilities at work?

The psalmist was surrounded by hostile nations. His enemies surrounded him like bees and blazed around him like a crackling fire. This does not sound like he could have defeated them without some major help. And the psalmist repeats three times that he destroyed them with the authority of the Lord. He gives God the credit.

God, sometimes you give us authority and we don't acknowledge your part. Sometimes you want to give us authority and we are afraid to take it. Forgive us for our weaknesses and our selfishness. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2012 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment