Friday, September 28, 2012

The Strong Right Arm of the Lord

My enemies did their best to kill me, but the Lord rescued me. The Lord is my strength and my song; he has given me victory. Songs of joy and victory are sung in the camp of the godly. The strong right arm of the Lord has done glorious things! The strong right arm of the Lord is raised in triumph. The strong right arm of the Lord has done glorious things! I will not die; instead, I will live to tell what the Lord has done. The Lord has punished me severely, but he did not let me die. Psalm 118: 13-18 NLT

When I pray for victory or for help in defeating what the world attacks me with, I think in terms of coming out whole and hearty. I think God will utterly defeat my enemy or enemies but I will be unscathed. I imagine I will remain unchanged.

Obviously, the psalmist did not come out his victory without scars. His enemies did their best to kill him. Yet, he did not die. Instead, God let him live so that he could tell of God's work. God did punish him but did not take his life.

In my imagination, I see someone who has lost a limb or an eye. Perhaps they are bedridden or now unable to fight or work. Pictures of veterans of the Civil War come to mind. Did the psalmist fight but came out permanently scarred? Did he see his wounds as God's punishment? What had he done to deserve such punishment?

Yet, even with his scars, the psalmist continues to praise God.

God, may I praise you even when you save me from situations that scar my body, mind or heart. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Copyright 2012 Amelia G. Sims

No comments:

Post a Comment