Monday, October 8, 2012

This is how I spend my life


Remember your promise to me; it is my only hope. Your promise revives me; it comforts me in all my troubles. The proud hold me in utter contempt, but I do not turn away from your instructions. I meditate on your age-old regulations; O Lord, they comfort me. I become furious with the wicked, because they reject your instructions. Your decrees have been the theme of my songs wherever I have lived. I reflect at night on who you are, O Lord; therefore, I obey your instructions. This is how I spend my life: obeying your commandments. Psalm 119: 49-56 NLT

What keeps your hopes up? What gets you out of bed every morning besides the alarm clock? How do you get your second wind of energy during stressful times?

For the psalmist, it is God’s promises that keep the psalmist going. God’s promises give them hope. God’s promises revives him. God’s promises keep her from turning away from God’s instructions, even when she is held in contempt. God’s promises give the psalmist comfort. In fact, those who have rejected God’s promises make the psalmist angry. God’s promises are the theme of the songs the psalmist sings each day. 

What are God’s promises in your life? You may include promises of eternal life but there may be other things as well. In the Old Testament, God’s promises included the gift of land, healthy crops, children and protection. List some of these in your mind.

Spend some time thanking God for all the promises in your life and let God know how you will spend the rest of your life. 

Amen.

Copyright Amelia G. Sims 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment